Floridians for Lawsuit Reform is a 501(c)4 organization that was formed by Floridians to pursue lawsuit reform.
The goals of the nonprofit are to:
- Raise awareness for the abuse of the system
- Demonstrate the impact of frivolous lawsuits and over-the-top attorney fees on homeowners property insurance rates
- Promote possible solutions that will benefit Florida families
Due to frivolous lawsuits and excessive attorney’s fees, homeowners property insurance rates are expected to climb 10-fold over the next 10 years. Higher rates contribute to the rising cost of homeownership in Florida.
Although weather and inflation play a factor, the primary reasons your home insurance premiums have been skyrocketing these past 5-6 years are:
1. Roof claim and litigation abuse – recent reform led by the Governor will help curb “predatory billboard lawyers” and protect small businesses and Florida consumers from absorbing costs associated with frivolous litigation.
2. Reinsurance costs – the legislature implemented some solutions in 2022, but they won’t do enough to ultimately pass rate reductions to consumers.
*The cost of reinsurance has been rising exponentially, and it is expected to increase by at least 40-50% for Florida home insurance companies during the 2023 renewal season that ends on June 1 (when hurricane season begins). Those costs will be passed onto you.
How You Can Help
Please sign this petition. It will be sent directly to your legislators, and will ask them to support reinsurance reform that will help prevent a huge rate increase for home insurance customers this year.
Follow Floridians for Lawsuit Reform – they share information on their website and social media (Facebook and LinkedIn) to keep you up to date on this topic.